The PEINU represents more than 1,300 Registered Nurses and Nurse Practitioners working in acute care, long term care, community care, mental health and addictions. Since 1974 we have negotiated, administrated and improved the Collective Agreement for the benefit of our workplaces and Prince Edward Island’s health care.
The Prince Edward Island Nurses’ Union is a strong, credible and respected voice for Registered Nurses and Nurse Practitioners and quality health care in our province. We are a member of the Canadian Federation of Nurses’ Unions (CFNU), and thereby affiliated with the Canadian Labor Congress (CLC).
What does the Union do for you
- PEINU negotiates the terms of your employment and works to administer, protect, and improve the terms of the collective agreement and the working conditions for the benefit of our Members
- PEINU supports Members who require accommodation in the workplace due to injury and disability
- PEINU addresses labour relations issues as they arise day-to-day and represents Members dealing in Grievance and Arbitration proceedings
- PEINU provides educational opportunities and bursaries, and financial assistance when dealing with complaints related to their work or unexpected financial hardships
- PEINU advocates for our Members by engaging in pro-active research, negotiation, and lobby efforts
- PEINU strives to ensure fair and equitable working conditions for the province’s Registered Nurses and Nurse Practitioners. We’re committed to protecting the rights of our members, and offer a wide range of benefits and services to meet their needs.
Collective Agreement Negotiations
Negotiating a collective agreement that protects the rights of members, individually and collectively, is the primary purpose of PEINU. A collective agreement sets out issues such as pay, hours of work, rest periods between shifts, sick leave and holidays. Throughout its history, PEINU has negotiated many collective agreements with each being a step towards a better life for nurses and patients, clients and residents.
All PEINU members are represented by one Collective Agreement.