Administrative Assistant (temporary part time – 40%)
November 21, 2019
To work effectively and efficiently with all Staff, Elected Officers, Board of Directors and Committees by assisting in the provision of comprehensive and accurate administrative services and assistance and also be an efficient team member of PEINU staff. This position will be under the guidance of the executive assistant and will act, during any extended absence of the executive assistant, in their stead. The incumbent may be required to work full time in the event of an extended absence of the Executive Assistant. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Coordinate and balance work flow to meet deadlines.
- Answer telephone, prioritize and redirect calls to appropriate personnel and also provide factual information or assistance as needed.
- Typing and proofing of correspondence, reports, bulletins, memoranda, minutes, agendas, press releases and all other general correspondence for staff and President as requested.
- Provide efficient and accurate handling and internal distribution of all incoming and outgoing correspondence, for both mail and email.
- Prepare and send all courier packages as requested. Receipt of all incoming couriers/deliveries.
- Maintain and update computerized PEINU member database within website and extract specified information to export database for mail outs. Also review the PEINU database on a monthly basis to add/delete new members, as well as on a yearly basis to ensure it is up to date with the employer listing that is provided.
- Provide assistance to PEINU members having issues accessing the website.
- Maintain electronic and paper filing system as required and be able to access materials as requested and needed.
- Photocopy, print, fax, scan and email documentation as requested, using office equipment and computer system. Support office staff and members in their use of these functions.
- Prepare materials relating to PEINU Board, Committee, Annual and Special Meetings (including agendas, minutes, reports, spreadsheets and all other related correspondence).
- Co-ordinate and assist in distribution of information/materials (via mail, email and telephone) to PEINU membership.
- Type minutes, review drafts, make modifications and print off copies for Board and Committee members and original copies for review and signing. Update and maintain minute binders for PEINU Annual, Board and Committee Meetings.
- Assist with election process when applicable.
- Assist with preparation of materials/binders for the Collective Bargaining/Negotiation process.
- Arrange and book meeting space and food selection for functions inside/outside of office building including but not limited to Board, Committee, Annual, Special, Education and/or Training Session meetings or meetings with members.
- Creation and modification of AGM Action List, which includes but is not limited to, elections, constitutional deadlines, amendments, notices, etc.
- Coordinate details of and provide support at PEINU’s Annual General Meeting, including booking of meeting space and room block accommodations, food selection, preparation of meeting materials/documents, order of supplies and preparation of delegate kits, recording of registrations/monies and all other related duties.
- Provide support at Atlantic Nurses Eastern Labour School, (during host year) including booking of meeting space and room block accommodations, food selection, preparation of meeting materials/documents, order of supplies and preparation of delegate kits, recording of registrations/monies, communication with other member organizations, proofing delegate lists, and all other related duties.
- Attend CFNU Biennium as support staff, when requested. Also responsible for coordination of details related to support (during a host year) if required.
- Communicate with PEINU delegates regarding registration process for conferences (i.e. CFNU Biennium and Atlantic Nurses Labour School).
- Co-ordinate travel arrangements for out of province travel (i.e. airfare, accommodations) for staff and President and any group of PEINU delegates travelling on behalf of PEINU.
- Maintain, update and distribute all PEINU contact information and CFNU contact information.
- Update PEINU Constitution and Policies as requested and ensure updates are distributed to Board and posted on website.
- Communicate with the Staff and President regarding their Outlook calendars (i.e. scheduling appointments and meetings, as well as monitoring calendar activities for conflicts and attendance).
- Notify members of upcoming meetings via email and telephone and follow-up with telephone calls to confirm attendance as necessary.
- Identify, purchase and maintain inventory for all PEINU office supplies, including but not limited to; letterhead, envelopes, computer supplies, printer cartridges, coffee room supplies, office cleaning supplies and ensure they are organized.
- Maintain, update and distribute supply of internal and external PEINU forms for use (i.e. expense forms, salary forms, overtime forms, fax cover sheets, bursary applications, etc.).
- Responsible for entering PEINU salary forms accurately into an up to date Excel spreadsheet of members attending PEINU meetings and filing of same.
- Carry out deliveries or make purchases as needed (deliver correspondence and get receipt for documents, banking, pick up office supplies, etc.).
- When needed/as required, ensure the office building is secured when opening/closing the building for the day and documents are secured as required.
- Other duties as requested.
- Manage records related to the financial activities of the Union by maintaining computerized accounting system (QuickBooks software)
- Review and enter Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable invoices and process Accounts payable cheques.
- Maintain paper filing system in relation to Accounts Payable.
- Provide up to date summaries/reports of budget expenses, etc. when requested.
- Process claims for staff, President and members for in and out of province expenditures.
- Review salary replacement invoices received from Health PEI, verify accuracy by checking against PEINU Excel salary spreadsheet/salary forms and then proceed with payment.
- Organize and manage financial information/data for large conferences, during host year or travel year (i.e. AGM, Atlantic Nurses Labour School, CFNU Biennium and Special meetings).
- Receive and update mileage rates on a monthly basis (beginning of each month) re: kilometers – expense forms.
- Prepare and make all bank deposits / bank transfers. Monitor all accounts of the Union by checking on line balances and communicating this information to the Executive Director, President and Treasurer as needed.
- Review and complete bank reconciliation of all PEINU bank accounts.
- Communicate with (via email and telephone) banking institution(s) re: various requests questions and coordinate completion of proper documentation as needed (i.e. signing authority changes, NSF cheques, etc.). Also provide assistance to the Executive Director re: banking communication.
- Receive and record Union dues payments from employer and record dues amounts. Responsible for calculating amounts to be rebated back to all PEINU locals and for calculating transfers to/from bank accounts as authorized.
- Responsible for calculating and remitting affiliation dues to PEI Federation of Labour and Canadian Federation of Nurses’ Unions (CFNU) and annual verification, to CFNU and its’ auditor, of membership payments.
- Calculate and process bi-weekly payroll for four (4) staff, RRSP payments, and other salary payments. Also review and process monthly repayment of President’s salary and benefits.
- Provide information as required to the payroll contractor.
- Assist with and maintain staff attendance records and appropriate filing of leave forms.
- Communicate regularly with the Executive Director and Treasurer re: financial status of PEINU budget, by providing updated financial reports, on a monthly and yearly basis, or as requested.
- Provide support to the auditor by providing financial records and reports and preparing supporting documentation for the audit review process for both the PEINU and the Education Fund.
- Assist with compiling financial data for Board, and Finance meetings, when requested.
- Provide bursary and honoraria information to external financial advisor.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Successful completion of grade 12 and a post-secondary office studies program;
- Considerable years of secretarial/clerical experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to work a part of a team and demonstrated ability to perform duties with minimal supervision;
- Experience with maintaining and retrieving detailed financial records in an computer based system;
- Excellent previous work and attendance record;
- Satisfactory criminal records verification report
- Previous experience with budgets and finance administration
- Position is a one year contract with possibility for renewal.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary is commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience;
- Benefits package includes health, RRSP and vacation benefits.
Only those applicants being interviewed will be contacted.