Labour Relations Officer (temporary part time – 60%)
The Labour Relations Officer is provides advice, consultation and advocacy for the membership in matters related to the PEINU Collective Agreement. The position reports to the Executive Director.
- Provide technical expertise, advice and assistance to PEINU and its members in matters relating to the administration of collective agreements, the grievance and arbitration/adjudication process.
- Advocate for PEINU, its locals and members in the administration of collective agreements including processing of grievances, disputes and any other problems relating to employment. Assembles evidence and develops arguments for presentation.
- Meet with the employer and its representatives as required.
- Assist individual PEINU members with disability appeals by providing guidance and information;
- Assist in the collection of information related to employment conditions, legislative changes, trends and developments regarding collective agreement administration.
- Review and assist in refining procedures for processing of grievances and provides information to locals.
- Review and assess Position Advertisements for compliance with the Collective Agreement.
- Assist in research to support collective agreement negotiations.
- Maintain up-to-date record of all PEINU grievances/arbitrations and Labour and Employment Board decisions and provides reports as required.
- Assist in planning and developing educational and informational opportunities for Local Presidents and Officers and current and potential PEINU members about the administration and interpretation of collective agreements.
- Communicate benefits policies, programs and processes to members and vested stakeholders through PEINU publications and reports to Executive Committee, members, and locals.
- Recommend policy and procedures as may be required to promote efficient and effective operations of the administration of the Collective Agreement.
- Participate in PEINU and Local committee meetings and act as a resource person as assigned.
- Assist Local Presidents in organizing educational/ informational seminars, workshops, as assigned.
- Assist in the development and execution of a system for describing and quantifying the scope of requests for service to PEINU by the membership.
- Collect and analyze data related to the membership and prepares reports descriptive of trends.
- Assists with organizing and facilitating sessions/planning processes regarding member issues as required.
- Other duties as may be assigned
- University degree in a related field supplemented by supervisory experience;
- Experience with a unionized environment;
- Experience interpreting collective agreements and leading or participating in union negotiations/collective bargaining would be an asset;
- Proven leadership, team-building, conflict management and facilitation skills;
- Superior interpersonal and collaborative skills as well as excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of collective agreements, relevant acts and regulations and current issues related to nursing and health care;
- Access to reliable transportation;
- Criminal Record Check is required prior to beginning employment.
- A CPHR designation is preferred
Position is a one year contract with possibility for renewal.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary is commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience;
- Benefits package includes health, RRSP and vacation benefits.
Only those applicants being interviewed will be contacted.